Facts About Pizza You Never Knew
Call yourself a ‘pizza lover’? Then shouldn’t you know a few facts about the thing you love the most? The process of consuming a pizza is simple, order, eat and then scream “I want more”. But this short process has hidden things you probably should know about. Here a couple of fun facts about ‘The Pizza’,
1. The word Pizza first appeared in 997 AD: In 977 AD the tenants of properties, in southern Italy, had to be given the Bishop of Gaeta, 12 pizzas (duodecimo pizze in Latin) on Christmas and 12 pizzas on Easter. Of course, the pizzas at that time were not the same as the ones we have now since there were no tomatoes or onions back then, but they were aware of leavening. Therefore, those pizzas were more like the focaccia bread that we have now, crispy cooked the dough in which raisins and honey were added sometimes.
2. The most expensive pizza in the world costs $12,000: If you are ready to buy The Pizza Louis XIII by Master Chef Renato Viola, then also be ready to mortgage your property. The Pizza Louis XIII is completely prepared at your house by Renato himself. He is accompanied by a sommelier (a wine specialist) and Renato’s assistant. The pizza toppings include three types of caviar, red prawns, Mediterranean lobster, sea cicada and is complimented by Remy Martin Cognac and Champagne Krug Clos du Mesnil (really really expensive champagnes). Now we know why the 12000 dollars. Unfortunately, the pizza is only 8 inches. So a person spends almost all his salary for the experience of that pizza and gets only 8 inches. Stunning, isn’t it!
3. 131 in diameter, the largest pizza in the world: The 131 diameter pizza contains, 19,800 pounds of flour, 10,000 pounds of tomato sauce, 8,800 pounds of mozzarella cheese, 1,488 pounds of margarine, 551 pounds of rock salt, 220 pounds of lettuce, and 55 pounds of vinegar. This huge ball of calories is named Ottavia, after Rome’s emperor Octavian Augustus.
4. There is a pizza place in Alaska that delivers pizzas by plane: ‘Airport Pizza’ is a pizzeria, located in Alaska which delivers pizzas by air and the shipping is free. It delivers an average of 10 pizzas a day and the plane can travel up to 300 km to deliver a pizza costing at maximum 30 dollars. The refreshments served on this flight would probably include tomatoes and mozzarella cheese!
5. 93% of Indians eat pizza at least once a month: No wonder the pizza industry is a $30 billion industry; we Indians are responsible for almost half of it. On an average, a person consumes 11Kg of pizza per year. That is a lot!
You know what they say, the power of pizza cannot be ignored!
- Nrupali Nadkarni